Bar Referee Attorney Disciplinary Proceedings
Article V, Section 15 of the Florida Constitution gives the Supreme Court of Florida exclusive jurisdiction to regulate the admission of persons to practice law and the discipline of persons so admitted. Judges serving as referees in attorney disciplinary proceedings must review the resources below prior to handling these cases.
Notice About the Preparation and Filing of the Record
Rule 3-7.6(n)(3) requires referees (with assistance of bar counsel) to:
- prepare the record
- certify that the record is complete
- serve a copy of the index of the record on the respondent and The Florida Bar, and
- file the record with the office of the clerk of the Supreme Court of Florida
Please be advised that uncertified records will be returned to the referee for proper certification.
Resources for Review
From the Clerk's Office
- Bar Referee Manual (revised January 2014)
- Contact Information and E-filing
- Memorandum: Handling Unopposed Motions to Seal Records in Bar Disciplinary Proceedings (March 2009)
- Sample Referee Report (2015) (Prepared by Judge Diana Moreland) John Tomasino, Clerk, Florida Supreme Court
From The Florida Bar
- Florida's Standards for Imposing Lawyer Sanctions (Revised, May 2015)
- Frequently Asked Questions (2012)
Bar Referee Training Information
- Course Outline (2015)
- Resources (2015)
- Sample Referee Report (2015)
- Checklist for Bar Referees (2012)
Also, read important information regarding sealing of records in these proceedings.